LEADING GROWTH – AEC 2017 CONFERENCE COMMUNIQUE / MATERIALS
COMMUNIQUE ON THE ANNUAL EMPOWERMENT CONFERENCE FOR PASTOR IN-CHARGE OF REGIONS, PROVINCES, ASSISTANTS AND THEIR SPOUSES
THEME: LEADING GROWTH
DATE: OCTOBER 30- NOVEMBER 2, 2017
The Annual Empowerment Conference was organized by the Centre for Pastoral Leadership under the auspices of The Redeemed Christian Church of God.
Pastor Austin Ukaiwe, PICP of Lagos Province 3 led the opening corporate prayers.
This was followed by the Keynote Address written by the National Overseer of RCCG, Pastor Joseph Obayemi presented on his behalf by Pastor Julius Olalekan a member of the RCCG Centre for Pastoral Leadership. The National Overseer highlighted the key objectives of the Conference as follows:
- Growth is a critical element of life.
- Although the RCCG is now viewed as a threat by other denominations in Nigeria, the Church still has a lot of grounds to cover.
- To remain relevant, RCCG and the Pastors in the mission have the responsibility of fulfilling the “doubling” mandate of the mission to all Pastors. We as leaders are to lead the growth mandate of “double your double ”.
- To achieve the “double your double” mandate, all the leaders in RCCG must raise and mentor those who will take up the challenge of improving on our current situation and our membership figures.
- This Conference is therefore expected to assist participants to know how to grow and to sustain the growth. Each sphere (i.e. Parishes, Areas, Zones etc) of the mission should reflect the approaches to Church growth. At the end of this conference we need to know those to hold responsible for the growth and sustenance of the mission at different levels of leadership.
The Conference speakers are Pastor E. A, Adeboye, Pastor (Mrs) Folu Adebayo, Pastor Ezekiel Odeyemi, Pastor Johnson Funsho Odesola, Pastor Peter Amenkhienan, Pastor Charles Achonwa, Rev. (Prof.) Isaac Oyebamiji and Pastor (Mrs) Wonuola Adetayo respectively.
The major highlights of the Conference are as follows:
Using Psalm 20:1-4 as a basis of consideration, it was discussed that if you are going to lead growth you must succeed in every terrain despite emerging challenges such as economic, Psycho-Social challenges as well as ministry related challenges due to changes in the environment.
The Church is also facing challenges a result of the non-Christian practices prevalent in our time. Whenever apostasy is happening in a generation it affects the Churches that are real.
The Lord is the one Himself who leads growth. Growth begins with God. There is divine components to growth just as there are human components. Mark 4:26-29. Query the status quo. Challenge the myths about where you are. With God whatever goes up continues to go up.
- You must change the mind set of your people about growth. We must become multicultural in thinking.
- We must see the future. Numbers 13:26-33.
- See what can be that has not come to pass in your environment. Exodus 33:11.
- Know that the spiritual controls the physical. It is not about the number on ground. Num 22:3-6. There shall be no curses working against your assignment in the name of Jesus.
- Refuse to partner with Satan in the time of trouble. Luke 4:5-7. If Satan could tempt Jesus he will tempt you but refuse to partner with satan.YOUTHS: The youths constitute a critical factor in the growth of RCCG. To do this requires the following: Understand them. Dialogue with them. Involve them. Motivate them. Mentor them.
IMPORTANT: Senior Pastors have been reminded to avoid creating a situation that makes youths believe that their leaders at provincial levels are “Provincial Affliction”.LEADERSHIP IN RCCG
- There is a need to understand the concept of “Being before Leading”. Your must become who God created you to be before you can lead.
- This requires personal retreats for revivals.
- Leadership is the ability to help people achieve what they thought was not possible.
-Leadership is a responsibility to serve not a position to enjoy.
-The servant leader is a helper and not a commander.
-The servant leader always leaves people better than he meets there.
-Leadership does not expose your strengths, it exposes your weaknesses if you don’t check them.
- Identify and lead people to their calling.
- Delegate fully. Avoid micromanaging people.
- Leading and serving should go on simultaneously.
- Lead by example.
- Appreciate people for their contributions to your success.
- Do not lose sight of your calling because of the imperative of occupying higher positions in the Church organisation. Pastors must commit to continuous personal spiritual development.
- He never expires who remains inspired.
- The fastest way to double is through miracles and not magic.
IMPORTANT: LEADERSHIP TRANSFORMATION PLAN MUST BE BASED ON TWO LEVELS VIZ: REVELATIONAL AND INFORMATIONAL with Revelational knowledge being the greater part.
GROWING YOUR CHURCH
-Growth is continuous. You must pursue and strive for growth.
-We must not lose our sense of destiny because those following us are taking their destinies from us.
-Make definite plans. Our job becomes easier if you plan properly.
-Develop yourself continuously. Read books. Learn from your children.
-The Church of God must preach and act against those who preach the false doctrine of unlimited grace.
-You cannot grow if each time you plant somebody comes to rob you of your harvest. If you don’t act when you ought to act the enemies will take away your freedom. We must cry to God against those who oppress our land.
-“Without holiness no man can see God.” Let it ring in all our churches, Holiness is the master key. Teach it and hammer it. Even if we are the only denomination that believes in Holiness let us preach it because believers are in danger.
– You must have a personal divine encounter. God must appear to you as the Jehovah.
– Get rid of the idols in your life and family. The idols in your life may be money, positional power, title, pride etc.
– You must obey God completely. God will not choose you to lead anything if you do not obey Him completely.
-Miracles and commonsense don’t go together.
-God does not like anybody serving Him grudgingly.
-Think of the legacy you are leaving behind.
– To enhance development of our members, the mission should establish a Leadership Academy at the Regional Levels.
- The Conference also featured special seminars on the following themes:
- Leading Growth Through Special Ministries.
- Leading Growth Through Special Programmes
- Leading Growth Through Evangelism
- Leading Growth Through Teaching.
- Conflict resolutions for PICPs, APICPs and their spouses.
The Conference has opened the eyes of the Senior Pastors to the reality that although God is the author and executor of the plan for Church growth Pastors have a major role to play. During this conference, God has energized Senior Pastors and buoyed their confidence to further pursue the vision of “double your double”.
Glory be to God.
DOWNLOAD CONFERENCE MATERIALS!